Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Self defense as exercise

I once took a karate class as a child, thinking it would be fun because I loooooved kung fu movies on TV. Ugh, it was boring. I did not have the patience to learn all the beginner steps and all the proper movements. But for those who do, this is excellent exercise. Martial arts has traditionally been great for your health not only because of the physical activity but also because of the propery breathing techniques they have you do. You'd be surprised how much breathing properly can affect you.

Practicing at home is how you become good at it. It helps to have martial arts equipment available for you to practice on. I think it was more fun for me to pretend to be a martial arts expert at home than to actually attend the class. I'd kick, punch and jump around, pretend to throw ninja stars and fight with swords. I'm sure I got even more exercise pretending than I ever did in class. Fun times.

No comments: