Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm a lizard without humidity

Since I was little I've had severely dry skin. It's often itchy and sucks in lotion like the desert floor during the first rain of the season. It must be a genetic thing because my sister isn't this way. The dry air of Southern California doesn't help at all either, especially in winter. The cold, dry winter air also aggravates my slight asthma condition. It sucks.

When I visited Miami a a couple years ago, the heat was a bit oppressive, but the humidity felt really good. I wasn't a human lizard all the time and my asthma never kicked in. The moist air helped a lot. The only way to duplicate this at home without picking up and moving is to get a humidifier.

I don't know the first thing about humidifiers and the different kinds available. A complete guide to buying a house humidifier is a good place to start. Like air purifiers, there are many different humidifying technologies to choose from. This site does a nice job describing each, along with a description of desireable features. After figuring out which kinds are suitable for your situation, I would recommend reading a few user reviews to make sure certain models are reliable and effective.

No comments: