Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Exercises for drifting kneecaps

Just in case some of you were wondering what exercises I was doing to make my kneecaps drift back to where they're supposed to be, I'll share. I'm all about sharing.

The problem I had was my inner thigh muscle, the vastus medialis, was weaker than my outer thigh muscle, the vastus lateralis. This was pulling my kneecap out of alignment, so I needed to strengthen the weaker muscle to pull the kneecap back. I found this photo of a knee labled with its appropriate structures for reference.

The one I practice while standing alone in the elevator is easy, they're like half-squats. Stand with your feet at shoulder width. Point your toes out at a 45-degree angle. Now bend your knees and lower yourself about 6-12 inches, whatever feels comfortable for you. Now push yourself back up. Repeat this several times and you should feel the medialis muscle being worked.

The other exercise I do while watching TV is done sitting down. They're like leg lifts. Lift one leg up so that it is straight. Point your toes out at a 45 degree angle again. Now bend and straighten the leg with your foot at this angle. You can use weights to work them harder if you wish. Again you can feel that inner thigh muscle being worked after a while. Do the same thing with the other leg. You'll want to do the same number of reps so both legs will be even.

Exercises take time before you can start seeing the effects, but they will work. Just have patience and perseverence.

No comments: