Monday, November 20, 2006

PKU and dieting

Two posts ago we talked about phenylketonuria (PKU) and how those who have it cannot consume much protein. This means they need to avoid high-protein foods like meat, eggs, dairy, beans and peas. This restriction means that most of my advice about balancing your carbs goes out the window for those with PKU.

So what's the best way to diet if you have PKU and you need to drop a few pounds? Since you're limited to fruits, vegetables and grains, the trick is to make the right choices. I used to have a vegetarian friend who ate no meat, but ate lots of pre-packaged starchy frozen dinners. She was overweight because she made poor choices. The same advice goes to you as to any other dieter: stay away from fried foods and refined carbs as much as you can. Some whole grains contain more protein than others, so find out from your doctor which ones are best for your condition.

A reader pointed me to www.phifoundation.org, a really ugly website with a lot of interesting information about weight loss. Her (the reader's) main question was what I thought about fasting. Since I have not studied nutrition or medicine, I can't say with any authority that fasting is good or bad. There are some cultures that incorporate fasting as part of their traditions. Some believe that it's a good way to purge your body. What do I think?

I think, in moderation, it might have its merits. However, fasting over a long period of time will cause your body's metabolism to slow down to compensate for the lack of fuel. If your goal is to burn more calories, you don't want your body to slow down. The site mentions losing weight quick with enemas and fasting... that alarmed me a little because enemas aren't natural. You don't see animals pumping water into their backsides, why should we?

The rest of the information on the site makes a lot of valid points, but since I've done no scientific research myself, I can't say whether they're accurate or not. (The alternating font colors certainly don't help!) I'd be interested in finding out what some of you thought about the information presented there.

No comments: