Monday, October 30, 2006

I joined a gym!

After a lifetime of thinking gym membership was a waste of money, I finally decided to give it a try. The whole "exercise at home" thing just never worked. When you're at home, you just want to relax. When you go to your living room and you're confronted with the TV, the treadmill and the Lazyboy, how many of us actually choose to watch TV while on the treadmill? I find it really hard to hear anything too when that thing is so noisy.

When I try exercising at home, I find I get bored really fast. There are so many more distractions there. I end up quitting after about 10 minutes. If I walk the dogs I can make it last 20 minutes. This is no way to get in shape. At the gym I found myself surrounded by people whose sole purpose was to get or stay fit. (I'm going to ignore the ones who are there to pick up chicks.) I was also surrounded by all these fascinating machines to exercise various parts of your body. Every time I've gone to the gym this week, I ended up staying at least an hour and a half! A far cry from 10-20 minutes, don't you think?

In the end, I think the environment you are in helps you to maintain focus. Many people have a hard time working from home because it's so easy not to work there. Sure it's convenient and you save gas money, but in the end most of us get more work done at the office. The same goes with the gym. I never believed it before, but after experiencing it myself, now I'm a believer. The gym, provided you find one you like, isn't so bad after all.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I love the gym. What's hard is GETTING to the gym. When I finally make my way home after a long commute it's hard sometimes. Today I plan to change before I leave and hope that works.

I agree about working out at home...it just doesn't work. Maybe if I had a separate gym room at home.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

A separate fitness room at home would probably be helpful, but expensive. Gym equipment isn't cheap! Plus who has that kind of room?

Anonymous said...

I too am a fairly recent gym convert. (started going this past January) I love it! But if I ever win the lottery I am building my own fitness room and hiring a personal trainer, and chef. ;) Great blog!

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I would love to have my own fitness room as well. A personal chef sounds awesome!