Saturday, October 14, 2006

Trade in your Nutella for something better

Are you familiar with Nutella? It's a sweet chocolate and hazelnut spread that is quite tasty with bananas. You might have had them with French crepes on some occasion. Well I'm sorry to say that you need to cut your ties with Nutella. Last year Choice magazine published the top ten processed food items (out of 50 that were tested) with the highest levels of trans fats. In that top ten was Nutella.

I was bummed out when I first found out a few years ago. I had first gotten to liking the stuff when I was in Las Vegas and we were having breakfast in the Paris hotel. Banana and nutella crepes, mmmmm. After coming home I went to the store to get some, but read the back of the label first. Partially hydrogenated oils were in it. Damn. I was so bummed.

But then earlier this year I discovered a product that was extremely similar to Nutella. I found it in Big Lots of all places (you might have known this chain as Pick 'n Save). For only $1.99 I got a 14 oz jar of what was called "Mondial Cream". It's a product of Italy and tastes just like Nutella to me. It contains the following ingredients: Sugar, colza oil, low-fat cocoa powder, palm oil, hazelnuts, whey milk powder, lactose, skim milk powder, and sunflower lecithin.

I searched the web for more info on this product, but wow, I couldn't find a thing! Only one Italian online store mentions it, and no photos. How on earth did Big Lots get it? Anyway, I'm going to snap a photo myself so you know what to look out for.

No comments: