Thursday, April 20, 2006

Inflation? Whatever.

My dad used to tell me about the days when he was a boy he could buy a loaf of bread for a nickel. Now you're lucky if you can find a cheapy store-brand loaf on sale for a dollar. You know, the kind with no nutrients left in it? I've never understood inflation. Things just get more and more expensive all the time, and I just don't get it.

I recently read something that said our money used to be backed by gold and silver, and that the same amount of gold and silver can still buy you the same amount of bread, or whatever, as back in the day when my dad was still a boy. So there are a lot of companies that tell you you should invest in gold, platinum or silver. Why? I guess because it's stable. I dunno. I personally hate finance. I can understand "asset diversification" a bit, but beyond that it gets into complications that I don't really care about. So in the end I'm just sticking to my 401K and whatever the financial advisors think. Why should I bore myself with such details when someone else can do it better?

No comments: