Friday, April 28, 2006

Beans, beans, the magical- Oh stop it.

I received an inquiry from the illustrious T -- What's so great about beans? First of all, you can call them "legumes" and sound almost scientific. But more importantly, they are one of the most well-rounded foods on the planet.

My mom is a vegetarian, and she advised me that if I ever decided to do the same, I should always include lots of beans in my diet. They provide a good source of much-needed protein. (Very important if you've cut meat out of your diet.) They are also rich in complex carbohydrates and fiber.

In terms of nutrition, you can find Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, B6 vitamins, and folate. A cup of cooked beans contains more potassium than a banana. In fact, beans have more calcium and iron per cup than three ounces of cooked meat, but contain no cholesterol and has fewer calories.

Research has also found that the seed coat of beans contain valuable anti-oxidants. Some believe beans have a perfect nutrient base for people interested in weight loss. They also aid in reducing cholesterol, improve digestion and, aid in cancer prevention.

With so many great things going for it, what's stopping you from gettings more legumes into your diet? For some it's the gas. For others, it's "What the heck do I do with 'em??" I'll cover those in the next segment...

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Also, fava beans can help with Parkinson's Disease. They are one of the best sources for natural L-Dopa, which is the precursor of dopamine....
It's also found in velvet beans, but they're a little harder to come by.
:)

Anonymous said...

I've heard that beans are amazingly healthy.
Can't eat any of them with the Crohns.
Sucks to be me at a dinner table sometimes.

Sarah said...

I'm not a big fan of beans, or wasn't.
My sister is a vegetarian though and as I don't eat a great deal of meat she advised me on a few bean meal ideas. My favourite is Spicy mexican bean burgers with pasta salad. They contain several different varieties of bean and even the kid loves them!

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

J, what in the bean makes it incompatible with the Crohns?

Maggie, I've never heard of velvet beans, are they fuzzy? :)

Nicole, I'm a bit curious about that myself. I think I'll continue the bean series with which ones are better than others. (Probably as Part 4)

Exquisite, hmm bean burgers, I might look into that. I like a good burger.

Maggie said...

This what I found....
Leguminosae Mucuna deeringiana (Bort.) Merr.
Source: Magness et al. 1971

This is a strong-growing annual plant native to the tropics. Most of the several varieties grown in the United States are M. deeringiana although some kinds are of other Mucuna species or interspecies hybrids. The slender stems may grow to 30 feet in some kinds. They are mainly grown with a support crop, usually corn, on which they climb and are partially supported. The leaves are trifoliate, with large ovate leaflets. Pods are pubescent, up to 6 inches long, with 3 to 6 seeds per pod. Velvet beans are well adapted to sandy soils and require a long growing season to produce much pasturage. They are grown mainly in the Southeastern Coastal Plain for late summer pasturage and soil improvement. All parts of the plant are nutritious and palatable.

The Radical Notion said...

Hee hee. I'm "illustrious".

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

And industrious too. :D