Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Are saunas good for you?

A friend of mine likes to bake himself in the sauna after working out at the gym. He claimed it helped to cleanse your body of toxins. I had my doubts since neither of us were doctors, so I decided to research it for validity.

It turns out he was right. After a good workout, your circulation is going pretty good and stirring up a lot of toxins. One of the best places for your body to send these toxins is out through your pores in the form of sweat. The high heat of a sauna tells your body to open up the pores and start sweating. Out go the toxins.

Some people claim they feel rejuvenated after a sauna session. Tense muscles will also become more relaxed in a heated environment. I'm a little more encouraged now to try it, provided I can stand the heat levels the gym has it set at.

Different people will have different levels of tolerance in terms of temperature and duration that they can withstand. Always listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. A word of caution: Saunas are NOT recommended for pregnant women, people with heart conditions, or those under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

2 comments:

janjan0000 said...

I haven't had a sauna in years, and I soooo miss it. Growing up, it seems everybody had one at their cottage. The awesome little stand alone sweathouses, perched right by a lake, usually, and we'd bake ourselves silly and then run full tilt to the dock and jump.
Not sure how good that is for you, but it was tons of fun!

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I still have to get used to them. The one at the gym is always set way too hot. I prefer the jacuzzi.