Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Getting lasered

I used to wear glasses. It was such a pain in ass because on hot days I would be sweaty and gross and the glasses would slide down my nose, on cold days they would fog up when I went inside a warm room, and everything was completely fuzzy without them. My sweety convinced my skeptical self to try getting Lasik done.

After chickening out once, I decided to try it a second time and actually went through with it. I was a little nervous because it was my eyes, you know? There was some pain when the machine cut the flap on my cornea. I know I was writhing around a bit because the doctor said to hold still and continue focusing on the little red light. The freakiest part was the laser zapping and the smell of burning flesh a few seconds later. That was me I was smelling. Ew.

But after all that, I was able to see perfectly without glasses the very next day. It was so cool. It's been about 6 years now. My vision isn't as great as it was back then (the clarity has reduced a bit over the years), and my night vision has definitely decreased after the surgery. But given the hassles of glasses and my abhorrance for contacts, I think it was worth it.

9 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

*shudder*...

Damn, you are brave...

SAHSHA said...

This is something I have been considering for some time now. Since I'm nearsighted and can't see far away, I heard that the correction will work so that I can see far and then I will need glasses to see close.. I don't know. I'm waiting for insurance to start covering it and for it to get cheaper.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

The operation doesn't cause you to need glasses for farsightedness, that's completely unrelated. When you have your vision corrected, they change the shape of your cornea so the light is focused on the correct part of your retina. However things getting blurry up close due to age is because your eye muscles are getting weaker and can't focus as well. It's a different problem that is, as far as I know, not correctable by lasers.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I wld love to go for that one day... you know... when i dun chicken out and.. when i got the cash :P

Anonymous said...

"when the machine cut the flap on my cornea."

You are SO fucking brave. I can't even deal with thinking about that for more than a few seconds, never mind actually getting it done. I bow down before you in impressed-ness.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Yeah it's really freaky when you think about it. I squirmed quite a bit.

Harry said...

Do you want a unique custom logo design for your company? buy a logo 5O% Off, impressive service,
I expect You'll be satisfied with us. Custom Logo

mir said...

I have noticed one thing that if you are reading an article from starting it looks bored but when you start reading it focus then it can be helpful for you...

we design the best websites & logos with a guarantee also with a discount are you interested so if you then check the link out?
Logo Designers

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read your blog.
It's very helpful for me and such a very unique blog thanks for sharing with us.
If you want the best nursingassignmenthelp then visit our site with a 7O% discount. I expect you will be satisfied with our service.