Saturday, December 09, 2006

Jiffy, no longer a natural product

I'm always on the lookout for trans fats in the products I buy. It's seriously worse than using lard, so I avoid the stuff whenever possible. Jiffy used to be a brand of cornbread mix that I used to use. It's fairly cheap and tastes pretty good. However, for some reason they decided to change their recipe. The mix used to contain lard, but now they've decided to add "partially hydrogenated lard" to it.

I have never heard of such madness. The whole point of hydrogenating vegetable oils in the first place was to make it more like animal fat -- more pleasant mouth-feel and longer shelf life, but a fraction of the cost. Why put lard of all things through this awful process? I don't know, likely to increase the shelf life (at the cost of making it an unnatural product). All I know is that here's yet another product I have to avoid now. It's rather sad.

3 comments:

Miss Trashahassee said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anonymous said...

Gross. I'd rather have lard than hydrogenated crap.

But really, making cornbread out of plain old cornmeal isn't that hard. Sure, it's easier to make from a mix, but if you make it out of cornmeal, eggs, milk and butter, you'll at least know what's in it.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

As KG says it's just as quick and easy to make it from scratch. Plus you know exactly what's in it, and you can add other goodies to it.

Check out my post from oct 4th (on my blog, duh).
If you don't want to read about the panther then just scroll down to the cornbread recipes.