Friday, July 14, 2006

Cultural Stress - Part 1

Stress is something that wears on your health, slowly but surely. You may not feel its immediate effects, but long-term it can really damage your well-being.

I found this great article by a well known dermatologist. It's about something he calls "cultural stress". I'll break it up into pieces since long posts scare off readers.
There is a new form of stress permeating daily life, affecting the entire body, and creating serious health problems inside and out. Coined by Howard Murad, M.D., dermatologist, researcher, and Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at UCLA, "Cultural Stress(TM)" is distinguishable in that it is all pervasive and cumulative. Mentally and emotionally disruptive, "Cultural Stress" plays havoc on physical well-being. According to Dr. Murad, it is a societal crisis; some researchers believe responsible for 90% of health problems experienced, including heart disease, cancer and lung ailments.

We don't pay enough attention to the amount of damage each daily instance of stress has on the body. Each stressor alone is relatively insignificant, but when these individual stressors become frequent patterns, our health deteriorates. I call this 'Cultural Stress'," explains Dr. Murad. Whether work deadlines, supermarket lines, traffic, computer isolation or financial concerns, he notes they all contribute to the stability of an individual's well-being.

5 comments:

j.sterling said...

i am watchign the effects of stress right now on my very best friend.. it is eating away at her body.. she weighs next to nothing. :(

Maggie said...

I completely agree!! I have noticed that I begin to get sick (cough, cough sick) when my stress levels get too high.

It's the little things that get me. Ugh!

Undercover Mother said...

I have found that Buddhism has helped me, in that so much of what it teaches helps put things in perspective, so the stress reaction doesn't even occur. Then, I think exercise is so important because it really relieves some of that stress. I think part of the reason America is so stressed is that so few people exercise regularly. With three small kids, I don't do it nearly enough, but I realize I have to set an example for my kids, so they go with me on walks.

But realistically, some stress just can't be avoided. You just bump up against a person so toxic, the key is knowing how to process it in a healthy way. I know, we just had in-laws visit for a week and it sucked!

The Radical Notion said...

I get stressed out about some stuff but I never let it bother me to the point where I'm sick over it. Being proactive and trying to solve my problems in a logical, positive way helps me cope. I also do a lot of yoga.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

T, I wish I had the patience to do yoga.

Mom of 3, Buddhism has helped my own mom tremendously as well. She used to be very high strung.

Maggie, stress does lower your immune system, among other things.

Jennster, it's hard to watch someone go through that helplessly. I hope things work out for her.