Thursday, May 25, 2006

Vegetarianism can be tricky

Being a vegetarian, whatever your reasons are, isn't easy. Protein is an incredibly important nutrient you get from meat, and when you cut out the meat, you have to actively seek out vegetable sources of protein to replace that.

I once knew a girl who was not only vegetarian, she was vegan. She was vegan and overweight. I watched the food choices she made... lots of potatoes, rice, french fries, and peanutbutter sandwiches. The peanutbutter was probably the best thing she ever ate. The rest was so loaded with carbs and trans fats, it was no wonder she was overweight.

Carbs aren't evil, but eaten in great quantities without enough protein to balance it out, it makes your pancreas pump out the insulin in spikes, causing your body to store more of the glucose into fat than it normally would.

The biggest challenge any vegetarian has is to get enough protein into their diet. Beans are an excellent source. So are nuts and soy products (like tofu). If you're including dairy, milk and yogurt are great sources as well. Whole grains are also good choices to make. The vegan I told you about tended to eat a lot of processed foods, so most of the nutrition had been processed right out of it. You'll find more protein in whole grain bread than white bread.

The other important thing to do when restricting your diet is to vary the foods you eat. Each food item has different nutritional properties to it. Eating the same thing every day is a sure way to become deficient in something, so change it up as often as you can. This is true for everyone, not just vegetarians. A varied diet is healthier than any fad diet where you eat nothing but grapefruits in the morning or nothing but cabbage for dinner. There are a lot of weird ones out there. You don't want to get bored with what you eat either, right?

So, bottom line, include some source of protein in your diet to balance out your carbs. Choose unprocessed foods whenever possible. Vary the foods you eat to maintain balanced nutrition and interest. Eating healthy doesn't have to be a chore.

6 comments:

The Radical Notion said...

I haven't eaten red meat or pig products in ten years. That's about as far as I can go with it. I still eat fish and poultry.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

KG, beans are awesome. I just wish I would like them a little more.

T, that's great! I still eat everything, though not so much beef.

Malnurtured Snay said...

I'm not a vegitarian, but I like to think I can understand why some people are. I really can't wrap my brain around vegans, though. ICE CREAM IS DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Ooh I hear ya, ice cream is divine, a reason to live. I would hate to be deprived of it.

Sarah said...

I don't think I would cope very well if deprived from ice cream either!

My sister had a boyfriend who was vegan. He was overweight and in very poor health. The doctor put him on all kinds of pills and vitamins to get him back to a balanced diet.

As for me, well I don't eat a lot of meat in general. For years I was like T, only eating fish and poultry but then recently a couple of pork kebabs and a bacon sarnie slipped their way back into my diet.

Unknown said...

I still get cravings for meat and don't think I could skip it totally.. It's a good way to get one's cholesterol down..
Cheers from Nurse Pracitioner News