Friday, May 05, 2006

Did you know this about white bread?

One slice of white bread gets converted by the body into more than that slice's equal weight in sugar. In other words, if you were to eat a 4-ounce slice of white bread, your body would digest it and convert it into more sugar than if you were to consume 4 ounces of sugar itself!

When grains are formed, plants take sugar and store it in compact form. Digestion "uncompacts" this storage and releases the concentrated sugars. When you process the grains into white flour, you are basically stripping away all the fiber from it. All the goodness is gone. Fiber slows down and evens out the process of breaking down carbs into sugar. Take that away and you might as well shoot syrup into your veins.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad for you! Reading that made me glad I only have white occasionally. I tend to stick to the good old granary bread my parents raised me on!

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Yeah most people don't really know why white bread is supposed to be bad for you. They just figure, if it's just wheat bread with the wheat stripped out of it, then maybe it has little nutritional value, but it isn't bad for you, right? Wrong!

Repeated spiking of your blood sugar leads to pancreas exhaustion, leading to diabetes.

Anonymous said...

oooh! I like this blog too! I need to get my rear in gear and lose some poundage.

Btw...where do you get your fun backgrounds/blog layouts?

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Glad you could join us Dana! For my other blog I found the girl image on istockphoto.com. The rainbow I found through Google's image search. The crazy looking guy on this blog I also found through Google's image search. I then created headers in Photoshop out of the images I found.