Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Safe groceries AND good prices?

Where can we shop where we'll be safe from so many horrible ingredients? You go to the health food aisle in your average grocery store and most of those products have replaced sugar and fat with chemicals and more chemicals. You're seriously better off with sugar and fat!

I'm lucky in that I a few Trader Joe's locations near me. If you've never heard of them, they're smaller than supermarkets, but bigger than convenience stores. I don't know how they do it, but they have fantastic products at prices that are often cheaper than you could find in a supermarket.

I still find some items with trans fats in them (like a lot of the frozen desserts), but you find less of those things here. Nearly all the cereal they have is safe, and they have a nice variety to choose from, including kids' cereals. They also have many organic grocery items to choose from.

I don't work for Trader Joe's, I just adore them. They have several locations across the nation, so you really should see if there's one in your area. Use their store locator to find out.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Hit your local Farmers' Markets!! They have locally grown, organic foods. Plus, you'll be helping your neighbors!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the Bay Area...of COURSE we have Trader Joe's here. And Whole Foods and Andronicos....which are my usual haunts. We also have Raley's Knob Hill which is where I normally shop.

And maggie, I love going to our Farmer's Market. We're just 20 minutes from Napa which means we get LOTS of fresh foods and local stands. Plus some places will let you go and pick your own for a discount. :D I've never paid more than a quarter for an artichoke. hehehe

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Okay I'm officially jealous. I've never even heard of Andronicos or Raley's. It's nice to have such a good selection to choose from!

And yes Maggie, supporting the little guys at the farmer's markets are a wonderful way to get fresh produce.

Buffy said...

I know what you mean about all the horribleness thats in food these days.

I feel like Im drinking crack when I have a can of coke.

Honestly. All the chemicals.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Yes, chemicals everywhere! I recently read a thing that listed all the cleaning uses for Coke that people had. Kinda scary.

The Radical Notion said...

I haven't been to our Trader Joes. We have one about a half hour from here. There are no stores in my town. We have a local (way overpriced) organic store. I'm just getting into the organic thing. I think I'm gonna try the Farmer's Market this year, too.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I'd like to buy more organic myself, but it's expensive!