Sunday, September 24, 2006

Choose your candy wisely

As we get closer to flipping the calendar to October, we start seeing a whole lot of orange popping up around stores. Candy is everywhere. They entice you with sales and huge bins full of sweet, sugary goodness. I know I eat a lot more candy around this time of year, it's hard not to. But that doesn't stop me from checking the ingredient labels first.

A coworker brought some candy to the office today and everyone gleefully dove into them like vultures. I waited until after the rush of bodies, then wandered over to read the labels before grabbing my share. As I suspected, some of them were evil. Whoppers has partially hydrogenated vegetable oils in it. Crap, trans fats. I used to loooove Whoppers. But here on the package it was listed as the second ingredient, right after sugar. Dammit. I can love Whoppers no more.

Enjoy the candy folks, the season calls for it. But choose wisely.

4 comments:

Lana said...

Thank You for renting to me this week.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Hi Geek (or do we call you Dragon???)

Yup, trans fats=heart attack. If you want to know a bit more about how and why --ok, we know the why $$$$$$-- of it you may want to check out:

http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/hydrogenated-fats.html

They've got a wealth of info there on lots of stuff and it may help you 'educate the masses'.

Oh, I've commented on your main blog and I've finally got my own. There's a recipe (healthy too!) after each post. If you're interested:

http://alaskandavedownunder.blogspot.com/

Oh, yeah, I tend to be long-winded... but in a good way.

cheers from Oz,

dave

Robin said...

Whoppers is one of my favorite candies in the world...but I don't have them very often.

cube said...

Watch out for the trans-fat police. They're out there and they want our candy!!!