Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Giving in to temptation

Over the weekend my sweetheart had a craving for some Kentucky Fried Chicken. She's actually been wanting it for about a month and I've been a big bitch by talking her out of it every time. That stuff is so not good for you. The chicken itself might be fine, but what everyone needs to remember is that fast food restaurants use trans fats for frying purposes. It sustains high heat and repeated uses very well, plus it's much cheaper than normal oils. (Why do you think margarine is a fraction of the cost of butter?) But it is evil and not really food at all.

Anyway, her pouting always gets to me, I have little willpower against it, so finally I said yes. We went and picked up a bucket-o-chicken. We had ourselves a nice little dinner. However an interesting thing happened. After we sat back, our appetites sated, she turns to me and says, "You know, it wasn't as good as I remembered it."

It had been many many months, maybe even a year or more, since we've had KFC or any kind of fast food fried chicken. Maybe we lost the taste for it, which is a really good thing. Some studies have shown fast food to be addictive. Maybe our memories became amplified over time. Whatever happened, it's highly unlikely we'll ever buy KFC again. This seems to be one case of giving in to temptation that actually worked in our favor.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish I could resist fast food but along with ice cream it is one of the things I tend to give in too, albeit only occasionally :)

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Ice cream is definitely my weakness. But fast food is easy for me to resist now. I just think of all the crap that goes in it and I no longer want it.

Sarah said...

Yeah I need to think of all the crap that goes into it next time I find myself heading for a fast food fix!

(Btw, am here voting for you on BOTB this time)

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Oh really? I'll have to look into that. If they change the oil they use to be something that is NOT trans fat, then that will make a huge difference.